ok, so first, let me explain testimony meeting to those of you who might now know. It is a meeting in our church in which people stand up and simply tell about the things they believe to be true. Sounds easy right? Try being a teenager and getting up for the first time to talk about something so part of you, that you believe in so much in front of a group of people.
So, while I was listening to the girls give their testimonies I was writing my talk that I was giving the following Sunday. Here are the things that I wrote down as I wrote them, followed by my thoughts and why I wrote it down
Younger girls can be an example to the older girls -- Some of the first people to stand up where the 12 year old girls
Rain/hail/prayer -- There was one person who talked about how she prayed for good weather at camp. There was rain, hail, and tornado warnings all around us. We had one storm, all the girls were safe, and only one tent leaked (but they didn't have the rain cover on right).
Brave! -- Most of the girls mentioned how scared they were to get up and talk, but they did it anyways.
Girls camp was a great opportunity for the shy girls to bear their testimony -- There were so many girls that were quiet, or shy, or just didn't like the attention of being in front of people who got up (again, brave!)
cute/beautiful/radiant -- So, this train of though started when one of the 12 year old girls stood up. This girl had caught my attention in the beginning as being cute, as I watched her, and everyone around her I thought how beautiful these girls were, and as they were talking, they all see to radiate a glow of happiness... I love these girls!
Strength in numbers -- The girls were all supporting each other, encouraging each other to get up and talk
Strong -- most of these girls are the only ones in there school. Everyday they are facing some new challenge. A few mentioned how hard it was to be the only member in their school. I love to see them overcome these challenges and temptations
ok, this wasn't in the testimony meeting, but it was one of my thoughts. I think it is amazing that we had 60ish girls and their leaders and almost new drama... I want you to find that anywhere else, good luck.
Simple testimonies -- We are constantly told that we are suppose to keep our testimonies simple and short to make sure there is time for everyone to have a chance that wants too. Yet time after time there are always a few people who end up talking for 20 minutes and give their life story. ALL of the girls who got up kept their testimonies short and simple. Again, I believe that these girls are a great example to us. (on another note, flip flops were not allowed and I had to tell the adults over and over and they still did not listen whereas the girls changed their shoes the first time, maybe the second, again, they are being the better example)
One girls missed her drivers test for the third time because of church activities... how many youth do you know today who would be willing to miss their drivers test for church?
"it's ok to stand up every once in awhile" -- she said it all, stand up for what you believe
"all my friends are doing it" -- When the example is good, and the peer pressure positive, the effects they can have on each other is amazing
ok, so there is a lot more that I have written down, but you get the idea. I love these girls, I love what they can teach us, and I love that I get the chance to spend a week with such amazing girls
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Girls camp -- Testimony meeting
Posted by Whyzzerd at 10:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
There really is so much to learn from the young women!!! I am constantly amazed by their strength of spirit. It is an honor to work with them. We also had a GREAT testimony meeting at our camp. In fact, it was probably the best camp testimony meeting I have ever been a part of.
I'm a little late, but I'm glad you had so much fun. :)
Post a Comment